Woman Unleashed

Breaking free of centuries of societal roles and learning to stop defining ourselves by the things we DO. God created women as human "be"-ings. When we learn to let go of our control, we free the woman inside our souls, the amazing, gifted woman God created us to BE.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, March 04, 2006

More On Roles

After reading my last post, a friend sent me this: "I think us gals have so much on our plate that it becomes frustrating. My peace... it comes from just one source...God...and he constantly reminds me that I'm not wonder woman and that it's okay to slow down, smell the flowers and the java, and just enjoy being." (Roz)

Amen!

I do want to make it clear that I'm not against Focus on the Family. My mom bought a copy of the Strong Willed Child by Dobson when I was tiny, and, God bless her, she needed it for all 3 of us. I now have her well worn copy on my shelves for my kids.

I'm also not against prioritizing and knowing what's most important.

Lately the "roles" thing has bothered me. I don't mind calling myself a wife or knowing that my husband takes priority over the kids. I've even done the labeling thing in my mind, in a helpful way, to remind myself to get off these e-mails, because those kids need food!

My problem is that when we (men and women) label ourselves with roles, the roles become like old, tired ruts. We have trouble moving out of them to new ground. If we allow ourselves to live in a "role", we may be blocking out additional gifts and talents that the Lord may want us to use.

When we live in a role, we forget to look beyond ourselves and our typical actions to a new thing the Lord may ask of us for a specific moment or as a new adventure. For example, if a woman is called to step up to the microphone to be the next Beth Moore, it wouldn't fit in her old roles. She has to listen to the Lord and be ready and prepared to take a new step.

Roles also keep us from seeing our true worth. We tend to place our value in excelling at doing something (at least I do - I have a type A personality) instead of placing our value in the fact that the Lord loves us. That's what gives unborn children and people with severe mental retardation the same value as a productive member of society. They too are human, and that alone gives them worth. They don't need to be achieving someTHING to be as important to God as me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ame said...

I saw your comment on Aspire2 and hopped on over. I'm with you on this. When we try to define God's creation, ourselves, and then put God into that definition, it doesn't work. When we become who God created before the foundation of the world, everything else falls into place. It's more difficult for many to accept, I would guess, because it's easier to follow a list of "rules" or "roles," however one chooses to define them, than it is to develop a deep intimacy with Almighty God and allow Him to form and shape us in His image.

btw - did you contact Focus with your valid concerns about the book?

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home